Sunday 18 August 2013

Apple and Onion Chutney

I've had a bit of a housewifey weekend again. Last week I mentioned that I had an apple tree in the garden with an abundance of fruit, so I thought it was about time to make something with them,. For my birthday, Luke bought me a book on jam and preserves making [he knows me so well], so I found a recipe for easy apple and onion chutney.It's great on homemade pate (I'll put this recipe up another time) and is a great kick for on ham or cheese sandwiches.

First take 900g of onions, and finely dice
Then take 1.8kg of cooking apples, peel, core and dice
Put in a pan with 500g of light muscovado sugar,2 tbsp of tumeric, 3 cloves of grated garlic, 60g of grated ginger, 1litre of distilled malt vinegar. Bring to the boil until the sugar has dissolved. Then simmer for an hour until thick.


It's really that easy!!!
Then pot into sterilised jars. This recipe made 10 small jam jars, great for the store cupboard!!!
I also made chicken liver pate, french onion soup, cherry chocolate brownies and banana cake, watch this space for the recipes!


1 comment:

  1. Ooh this looks amazing <3
    Hopping over from the LBloggers chat :)
    Rosie x | Every Word Handwritten

    ReplyDelete

I really love reading your comments and appreciate them all so much! x